Monday, May 7, 2012

This and That

Well, as usual, I've not been blogging on a regular basis.  Between S L O W dialup internet, farmers markets, making soap, and trying to finish planting my garden, along with my regular chores, it's hard to find time to sit down and write.  It rained 3/10ths of an inch of rain this morning, so I won't be working outside today.

We have 4 baby goats to bottle feed right now.  They are growing fast and so cute!  Three little bucks and one little doe.  The little doe will be heading for Georgia once she's weaned.

My garden is doing well, with what's planted, but I've still got a lot of work to do.  Peas are going gang-busters and have lots of beautiful purple flowers.  We've been eating lettuce and spinach.  Asparagus was early and is done for the season.  I wonder if we got a lot of wind overnight, because my beet tops are leaning over, as is my cilantro, which by the way I've never seen cilantro so tall!  Over 4 feet!   I'll be planting everything else as I can.....beans, corn, squashes, okra, cucumbers, anything and everything.

This past weekend my hubby, son and I spent the weekend at the Cat Ranch Spring Art Show & Rendezvous.  We're members of the Cat Ranch Art Guild, started in memory of Tom Runnels, a local artist, sculptor, and writer, who passed away in 2000.  Several of the Guild members had booths with local made items and artwork for sale.  The Rendezvous folks also items for sale and folks were welcome to sit and visit with them about the Rendezvous and times past.  A blacksmith and his helper had the forge fired up as they were making items while people watched.  There was an International and National Atlatl contest, as well as archery contests.  My son loves bringing his longbow and practicing his archery skills.  He showed me how to throw the atlatl and I gave it a couple of tries.   Sunday morning there was an short outdoor church service that started with singing a few songs.  It was beautiful, with the birds chirping in the background and nice breeze blowing, as we listened to the preacher's message. The Cat Ranch Fall Round Up and Rendezvous will be at the end of September.  It's in the planning stages already and looks to be bigger than ever.

Well, I need to get to the kitchen and get busy making more goat milk soap.  Probably a gardeners soap, as my inventory on that one is low and this is the gardening season!

No comments:

Post a Comment