Saturday, February 18, 2012

What's Happening at Patchwork Acres Today?

Wow!  It's been over a year since I last blogged and I've had to start over setting up my blog!  So much has been going on.

The weather has been very mild this winter.  My son has only missed two days of school due to weather conditions, much less than last several years.  So, school will get out on time this year, which makes my son very happy!

Currently, we have one baby goat, over a month old, that I have been bottle feeding.  We've named her Cinnamon and she will be a replacement for one of our two goats that will be going to the sale barn later this year.

I've been busy making lots of goat milk soap.  Before long the farmers markets will be opening for the season and my Spring Craft Shows and various festivals will be starting as well.  Also, it will be time to start my garden soon, so I need to get as much soap made before then so I can spend time in the garden. Have big plans to put out a bigger and better garden this year.  My garden has been rather dismal the last two years and I really want a better one this year.

This morning my husband, son, and I moved our young chickens to a different chicken house.  Hubby caught one of my roosters that I will butcher after lunch.  Will put him in the slow cooker tomorrow and make chicken "something" for supper tomorrow.  Hubby suggested chicken enchiladas.

I've also got sourdough bread rising.  It's actually time now to divide the dough and shape.   Then it rise for a third time and be ready to go into the oven and bake.  I love the smell of bread baking!   And I really like using sourdough to bake a lot of different things:  breads of course, muffins, cakes, sticky buns, rolls.

The other kitchen "chore" I did this morning was to prepare a head of cabbage for lacto-fermentation.  I've been doing that since last summer.  Except for my son, the rest of my family loves it and I especially love how nutritious it is for us.   My father-in-law likes the fermented cabbage, aka sauerkraut; and I took a jar with us and left it the last time we visited them.  Since then I've made cortido, which is a  Latin American sauerkraut.  My husband likes it better than the plain sauerkraut.  Will have to take some to my father-in-law and see if he likes it, too.

My latest fiber projects are that I'm hand knitting fingerless mitts for a fiber friend of mine.  She raises alpacas then prepares the fiber:  spins, dyes, & crochets the yarn.  She has a knitting machine that she makes many items with, but she doesn't hand knit.  She mailed me a package of several colors of alpaca/merino blend yarns and I've knit one pair of mitts so far and am working on the second pair.  Alpaca yarn feels so wonderful soft and is very warm.  Here's her Etsy shop URL:  www.etsy.com/shop/BreezyRidge   Check it out and support a local artisan.

For the last year and a half, I've been a part of an art co-op and that has been a lot of fun.  All of the artists take turns working in the studio and we get to meet a lot of interesting people and other artists.

Maybe I won't be so lax at my blogging.   We still have dial-up in our rural area and it takes a while to do some things online.  So if I don't post in a while, it's because I'm busy doing something or just not taking time to get online!

No comments:

Post a Comment